Tuesday 14 April 2015

Firecrests


Wendover Woods: This morning, just beyond The Hale avenue, this little Firecrest (Regulus ignicapillus) briefly came down from the tree tops and into the sun. S/he was there but a split second. I fired off a burst of shots and the moment was gone. Magical.

I dread to think how many hours I’ve spent standing under trees in Wendover Woods, listening to the ringing of Firecrests, waiting for them to pop out or to come a little lower. Photographing them requires the patience of a saint or an endless reserve of energy, neither of which I have, and today’s one shot is definitely my best in the 4 years I’ve been trying.

I spent about an hour quietly and carefully listening to the woodland today. The trees really were alive with Firecrests. I saw at least 6 different birds and heard more. They aren’t easy though and every Spring I have to reacquaint myself with their song before heading to Wendover.

3 comments:

  1. WoW! What a little beauty! It certainly lives up to its name. From ARF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ARF. Yes, they certainly do. Sparkling little birds but move like grease lightening :o)!

      Delete
  2. A blinding shot Lucy - pure magic well done. I haven't been to Wendover this year which is quite tragic come to think of it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.